Bill Clinton, Mothers Of The Movement Headline Night Two At The DNC
The Democratic National Convention stage is reflected on a glass window in Philadelphia on Tuesday. John Locher/AP hide caption
toggle caption John Locher/AP
The headliner of night two of the Democratic National Convention is former President Bill Clinton. Organizers say the focus of the night is Hillary Clinton’s “Lifetime of Fighting for Children and Families.”
Former President Jimmy Carter will speak via video. Members of the “Mothers of the Movement” group will also address the audience — their children, including Trayvon Martin, Eric Garner and Michael Brown, all died in high-profiles incidents, many involving police.
It will also be a star-studded night with appearances by actress Meryl Streep, singer Alicia Keys, actress America Ferrara and actor Tony Goldwyn.
Here are highlights of the scheduled evening program, as provided by the DNC:
7:00 p.m. ET – 10:00 p.m. ET
- House Democratic leader Nancy Pelosi and the Democratic Women of the House
- Video Message from foirmer President Jimmy Carter
- Sen. Chuck Schumer
- Democratic National Committee vice chair of voter registration (and soon to be interim chair of the DNC) Donna Brazile
- Former U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder
- Actor Tony Goldwyn
- Mothers of the Movement: Gwen Carr, mother of Eric Garner, Sybrina Fulton, mother of Trayvon Martin, Maria Hamilton, mother of Dontre Hamilton, Lucia Mcbath, mother of Jordan Davis, Lezley Mc Spadden, mother of Michael Brown, Cleopatra Pendleton-Cowley, mother of Hadiya Pendleton, and Geneva Reed-Veal, mother of Sandra Bland.
- Singer Andra Day
- President of Planned Parenthood Action Fund Cecile Richards
- Actresses America Fererra and Lena Dunham
- Sen. Barbara Boxer
- Actress Debra Messing
10:00 p.m. ET – 11:00 p.m. ET
- President Bill Clinton
- Actress Meryl Streep
- Singer Alicia Keys